Thursday, May 2

Home away from Home...

It is part of the photographer’s job to see more intensely than most people do. He must have and keep in him something of the receptiveness of the child who looks at the world for the first time or of the traveler who enters a strange country. Most photographers would feel a certain embarrassment in admitting publicly that they carried within them a sense of wonder, yet without it they would not produce the work they do, whatever their particular field. It is the gift of seeing the life around them clearly and vividly, as something that is exciting in its own right. It is an innate gift, varying in intensity with the individual’s temperament and environment. - Bill Brandt

I have started a new series.

I am surrounded by people living in a country that isn't their own and I really wanted to photograph them! I want to explore how people make themselves at home wherever they may be. We make ourselves feel comfortable by creating environments that feel familiar, with home comforts, people and objects that make us feel secure. We create a refuge and make ourselves at home with whatever space we are given; some quicker than others, some easier than others. 'Home away from Home' is taking a group of people who are living abroad and trying to capture this idea.

This is actually a subject that is really important to me as I have spent most of my childhood moving around and most of my adult life travelling and never settling. I am extremely quick to 'nest'! I can unpack and change a strange room into a familiar environment with in a couple of hours. I am really quick to make myself at home and all I need is something on my bedside table that is mine, a picture of a loved one hanging up on the wall and my lovely feather pillow that comes with me everywhere; straight away it feels like the space is mine.

So, anyway, enough rattling on... here is the beginning of my "home away from home" series. hope you like it!











No comments:

Post a Comment